The 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card is considered by many to be the world’s most sought after trading card. As a result it has become one of the world’s most counterfeited and reprinted cards. There are some important factors you should keep in mind if you are looking to purchase this card online.
- Buy graded Jordan rookies only. The safest way to ensure your purchase is legitimate is to buy only graded cards. Grading companies know exactly what to look for (and exact weights) of authentic Michael Jordan rookie cards – cards of 7+ are nice specimens. Due to its age this card is also very condition sensitive so buy graded to be 100% sure of what you are getting.
- Not all reprints are stamped. Don’t let someone tell you that the card is authentic because it is not stamped ‘Reprint’. Not all reprints are stamped as a reprint and obviously intentional counterfeits are not.
- Always check the centering on the back. This card can appear nicely centered on the front but the back can be further off. Always check the back and if no image is supplied ask for one.
- Be aware that it is againt eBay US policy to sell an ungraded Jordan rookie card as anything other than a reprint.
- Learn how to spot a fake. If you must purchase an ungraded card learn the signs of a fake. This website details some of the signs of a fake Jordan rookie card. Beckett also maintains an excellent series of articles on fake trading cards.
The Jordan rookie is the ultimate addition to any Michael Jordan trading card collection but avoid heartache and don’t jump on that cheap deal without properly researching it.